Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's April
I am falling in love with men in sweaters
with the gold stamen in each flower like the needle
in the brooch with whihc Oedipus blinded himself
and with April herself
a girl who hems her dresses with light
and from whose smoke-seared throat issues
a perpetual song of praise
April: I am listening for the sound of my hungry friends
who cry like ravens for a crust of bread
while in the public park the girls in bright dresses
built out of heat, draped in floral flags
dip whole loaves in fragrant oils

April, the violence on this earth has never seemed as sweet to me
the hot night comes like the crust of a dark bread
pressed deeply with signs
I dream that all night my breaths are turning into flowers
dappling the room, turning the air black with fragrance
I wake having dreamt that sleep evaded me
on a black ship gone over a white sea
April: I sleep and I drink and I smoke and sleep again
dying, like a field of poppies,
for the least touch of sun

No comments:

Post a Comment