Friday, March 26, 2010

look out for more parts of this poem!!!! i'm diggin the idea. we'll see.

Love poem for Janice March 25

1
I built you up Janice out of outrage
out of kindness
The drooping crepe of eyelids
The sugar-white of spun bones
Hungry Janice in the field of
stars—lying on her spine in pink
taffeta
and with a whole plate of jasmine rice
and macadamia
there she is, her whole tongue is an edible flower
and her tremulous heart shivers and sings and trembles
Janice, I love you to humble excess
and would take apart my body for you: a headless
doll with a hollow
neck, a pocked
torso, I will cry out for you from out the whirled circle of my limbs
gentle Janice precarious goddess of
glass I will carry you to the other side of the earth
where held from the void by suckers on our feet
we will tremble and sing
and tremble again
open your mouth Janice but don’t be furious with
me—I will fall in on myself like a gutted cottage
murdered warden of a hundred grainfields bowed with seed
Janice come to me I will sing you applesong
and dappledpeachsong
in the myrrh garden
in the fountain
in the imagined country of my life
Janice is queen

2
spring rips the air open
and breathes it full like a paper bag
I took Janice to a house carved out of a blossom and down
at the bottom we sang to each other in Russian in English in
Hebrew the languages lay touching their feet
together like children bathing
in the water of the strand that runs down to the sea
unraveling perpetually naked thread of my imagining
I rode a train with Janice into the heart
of this country up the ridge of its breasts
where the birds are ululating orbs of
blood and I follow Janice through the sleeping cars
up and down the tremulous lip of the sea
rain starts again and again
stuttering like cats’ feet
and the illumined mouths of gentlemen’s
umbrellas are open
and the station waits barren as a smoothed-out
key while Janice small as a pearl onion
moves ceaselessly between the drops

No comments:

Post a Comment