Monday, October 5, 2009

before midnight what?!

In A Chinese Restaurant

The piled carp gape behind the glass, their sores
a brilliant plumage on their backs.
The king crab works its ghastly mouth; the kettle roars;
the dark eels, supine, blind, and slack,

sway and furl like heated wires.
Outside the clot-gored river moans
against its spilled-in mattresses and tires.
Still the bound claws batter false stones

in the tanks. Candied fruits lie like tongues
on the plates. A man like a mendicant king
sits by the river, and weeping swells his lungs.
An undersea light floods everything.

3 comments:

  1. You wanna know something that I hope will not read as my flattering myself as I attempt to convey true feelings that will hopefully flatter you? Good, I'll tell you that something: I just got home from school and will soon be on my way to work, but as I sat down to have my lunch in front of the computer and went to your poemaday, I started feeling guilty for not using this time to catch up on homework. But then I realized that reading this blog is guilt-free because it's GOOD FOR ME. It's good for me as an artist and it complements my education. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you g!
    here is my question, as you represent yourself only by this enigmatic letter: who are you? i figure i know you.
    -t

    ReplyDelete