Saturday, September 26, 2009

late poem Friday.

Hey, so:
I kind of decided (as I was sitting on the bus to Portland, Maine, and realizing there was no way I would get access to a computer by midnight) that the crux of the whole "poem a day" thing is writing a poem a day -- i.e., the most important thing is having the poem written by midnight, and not necessarily posted by midnight. But I realized that having decided to put each poem on a blog entails a performative aspect to the project, indicating that the audience (y'all) might be more important than I give it credit for. I tend to make seemingly firm but ultimately nebulous resolutions -- in fact, almost constantly -- and wind up wavering around quite a bit, but in this case the dimensions of the resolution aren't only in my own head for once. So, what are your thoughts? Should it be an iron deadline of posting by midnight, or is writing by midnight o.k.?

Without further ado, today's poehm:


"Poem for Jeremiah 2:2"

From the bus vestibule come the smells of fries and vinegar
and sweet false fruit. The building is bent on erasing itself
tile by tile from the minds of those who pass through it,
a place fixed firm in grimy placelessness.
From the bus I watch the light-pricked spires rise
high over the river into the hollow sky.
Under the elevated highway
the cars in the lot gleam like packed fish.
The townhouses light their narrow windows
the trees their attendants slim as girls
fanning their hair out wide in the light.
From a dark window peers the God of Deuteronomy
weary with absence, recalling the years of the betrothal,
forty years of fierce love and complaint--
enough years to fade hale youth,
not yet to send a lover to his grave,
a life younger than my father's life.
The fabled God speaks on awhile
muttering under wheels dark
on the dark road, and retreats.
I won't address the sweet subject of love,
two bodies confused in sleep,
the moon on the duvet, a bright marquee,
it is no palliative;
our loves have failed to match the films
in which all men are handsome and strong
and the women clarion as summer mornings
where nothing has yet gone wrong,
and nothing is at stake,
and the sun gleaming on the hills
sits like gold silt on every hair,
recalling to us the mercies of our youth
boundless and fair, and the whole bright earth is our bride-price.

4 comments:

  1. Writing by midnight is fine!

    After all I've asked of the universe, how could I not grant someone else an extension?

    That, I do not know.

    -M. Fount

    ReplyDelete
  2. ב הָלֹךְ וְקָרָאתָ בְאָזְנֵי יְרוּשָׁלִַם לֵאמֹר, כֹּה אָמַר יְהוָה, זָכַרְתִּי לָךְ חֶסֶד נְעוּרַיִךְ, אַהֲבַת כְּלוּלֹתָיִךְ--לֶכְתֵּךְ אַחֲרַי בַּמִּדְבָּר, בְּאֶרֶץ לֹא זְרוּעָה

    i'm missing the connection. maybe cause its 5;20. that reminds me, i gotta go. peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last lines-- so good. I vote write AND post by midnight. It's easier to keep that kind of commitment.

    ReplyDelete